Culture + DNA
VISION FOR THE BAY “MY AMBITION HAS ALWAYS BEEN TO PREACH THE GOOD NEWS WHERE THE NAME OF
CHRIST HAS NOT BEEN HEARD, RATHER THAN WHERE A CHURCH HAS ALREADY BEEN
STARTED BY SOMEONE ELSE.“ (PAUL, ROMANS 15:20-21)
ONE COMMUNITY AT A TIME
STATS ON OUR COMMUNITY:
• 99.98% OF OUR COMMUNITY ISN’T INTERESTED IN FAITH
• 12 YEARS SINCE A CHURCH HAS BEEN PLANTED
• ZERO ENGLISH SPEAKING EVANGELICAL CHURCHES
ONE FAMILY AT A TIME
CITY CENTER’S “ONE”
WHO OUR CHURCH IS CALLED TO REACH:
People who want nothing to do with faith families & business people
Those searching for a church in Berkeley
Berkeley leaders who are accomplishing the work
ONE PERSON AT A TIME
WHO YOU ARE CALLED TO REACH:
Relationally – Socially – Professionally – Economically – Spiritually
Your “one” may never come to our church
IMPACTING OUR “ONE” MISSION: TO HELP PEOPLE KNOW & LOVE JESUS, & PLACE HIM
AT THE CENTER OF EVERYTHING
BELONG BEFORE BELIEVING
Loving The “ONE”
We want to create fun safe environments, where people can build GENUINE relationships. Where people can come and do life with other people no matter what they believe.
BELIEVE IN JESUS
City Center Gatherings
More than just practicing religion, we’re called to KNOW, LOVE, and FOLLOW Him daily.
We will create non-judgmental environments where people can freely ask questions about faith. It’s during this time where the power of the BIBLE can really come alive.
BECOMING LIKE JESUS
City Center Groups
Becoming more like Jesus starts with having the right people in our lives. It’s in those life-giving relationships that we can FIND FREEDOM. God designed us for community!
BEING SELFLESS EVERYDAY
City Center Cares
It starts with people understanding that we all have been created FOR PURPOSE ON PURPOSE. Our Church will focus on inspiring purpose and meaning in people. We all have Time, Talent, and Treasures that we will use to LOVE and SERVE our church, our community, and our world.
CULTURE AND VALUES HELPS TO COMMUNICATE WHO WE ARE, WHO WE WILL BE
& HOW WE DEVELOP & RELEASE OUR TEAM
LOVE & SERVE
We will love and serve our “ONE” unconditionally, putting them
before ourselves. We refuse to be just hearers of the word and not
doers! (Matthew 22:37-39, Matthew 25:45-46)
INSPIRE PURPOSE & MEANING
God created each one of us for purpose and on-purpose. We refuse to settle for less then our purpose, by staying comfortable in our preferences! (Matthew 4:19, Acts 1:7 – 8)
CREATE GENUINE RELATIONSHIPS
We will work to create genuine relationships with our “ONE”. Because we know a truly fulfilling life is found in community. We refuse to let people do life by themselves! (Gal 5:13)
Our time, talent and treasures are to impact our “ONE”! We refuse to allow our life to be about fulfilling our desires. (Proverbs 11:24 -25, Luke 10)
We respect the journey of our “ONE”, which is one step at a time. We refuse to be judgmental and will offer grace and truth! (Mark 2:13-17, Matthew 7:1-6)
WE DISPLAY JOY-FILLED LIVES
We will display joy to our “ONE” in all life’s circumstances. We refuse to let difficulties steal our peace and joy! (Hebrews 12:2, 1 Thess 5:16-18, Philippians 4:11-13)
TEAM LEADS (TL)
Build a twenty-member Team Leads that will assist in the CARE of our Launch Team & Church. This is accomplished by investing, developing, empowering, and releasing individuals.
• Investing: Lead Pastor cares for the TL
• Developing: Train on Culture & DNA and philosophy of ministry • Empowering: The TL will care for the launch team
• Releasing: The TL will then reproduce this process with others
TL BUILDING & CARING FOR THE LAUNCH TEAM
Build community through pre-service gatherings, mid-week virtual or in-person dinner parties, and team care.
• TL invests in and cares for a small group of Launch Team weekly
• TL helps train the team on Culture & DNA
• TL leads, trains, and equips a City Team to build God’s Kingdom
To keep the launch team focused, we will concentrate on four key areas that will happen virtually and in-person.
• City Cares: Building a team who are Being Selfless Everyday through loving and serving their community, their families and their ONE.
• City Groups: Building community mid-week in order to foster community and help the church Become More Like Jesus.
• City Gatherings: Create a non-threatening gathering environment where people can Belong Before Believing and eventually take a step towards Believing In Jesus.
• City Teams: Inspire team members to utilize their passions and gifts to build God’s Kingdom. Not putting them in areas of need, but Areas of Passion!
ENGAGEMENT FOCUS: FINDING NEW AND CREATIVE WAYS TO ENGAGE WITH OUR COMMUNITY,
PRE AND POST LAUNCH
It’s important to us that in the middle of engaging with the community, we don’t miss out on engaging with our team.
• Team Huddles: We meet 30 mins before every weekend gathering to review order, talk culture, and pray.
• After-Parties: Our culture takes all topics of faith that are discussed and engages in conversations.
We believe to become more Like Jesus, this is essential.
• City Groups: Create a weekly in-person or virtual meet-up for our church. This allows us to be “ONE” focused during gatherings and team focused mid-week.
• Wednesday Check-Ins: Pastors take Wednesday morning to do a prayer walk to connect & pray specifically for our Launch Team.
• SLACK: Is a tool to help the team stay informed and will be utilized for prayer requests that team members have.
During online gatherings, we will interact in such a way that builds community and engagement.
• JOIN: Join early to create a great atmosphere and buzz.
• SHARE: Share the live video through Facebook and texts.
• ENGAGE: Engage in meaningful conversation with attendees.
• THANK: Send thank you message to all attendees.
We will reach out to people in our community through Facebook. This is accomplished by:
• IDENTIFYING key Influencers in our community.
• DIALOGING about ways to LOVE & SERVE our city.
• SHARING vision and heart for our community.
• INVITING contacts to launch parties and vision nights.
MULTISITE MODEL FOCUS: BRING A NEW EXPRESSION OF THE GOSPEL TO CITY CENTER HUBS
ALL AROUND THE BAY AREA.
In the early church, most of the work of the gospel was in the market place and high-traffi City Centers. We will innovate an expression of the gospel that:
• Chooses God’s Purpose over Religious Preferences
• Releases Leaders to do the work of the church
• Removes Barriers people have of coming to a church building
• Creates a Non-Threatening environment for conversation around faith and how it can impact daily life
• Focuses on creating High Relational environments while not compromising on Quality & Excellence
• Grows Larger through multiplying locations all around the Bay.
• Continues to stay Conversational & Relational focused by keeping gathering sizes under 100
• Limits small kids gatherings to 15 kids or less, while making the main focus, our weekly interactions with families we serve.
We will seek out storefronts and businesses that are in high traffic City Centers.
• 50-100 People
• Live and recorded talks around faith and life
• 3-4 Team Leads members will host a gathering time
• 15-20 Launch Team members at each gathering
• Coffee house style music
• RSVP for all gathering times
• Short talks accompanied by leader lead discussions
• Locations will scale up to 3-5 gathering times per location
• Ministry will happen on a daily basis with the people who are using the space weekly
• Hubs will help people ReThink Church through how we serve
LAUNCH RHYTHM FOCUS: CREATE A RHYTHM OF CHURCH THAT DEMONSTRATES
THAT OUR 1’s ARE THE MAIN FOCUS.
that in order to help people Become More Like Jesus, we have to create an expression of church that’s daily, not weekly.
We believe in order to launch City Center Hubs successfully, Hub Coordinators(HC) need to follow the right Pre-Launch Rhythm
STEP ONE: HC goes through planter assessment
STEP TWO: HC moves in to and learns focus community
STEP THREE: HC builds Team Leads team of 10-15 givers
STEP FOUR: HC finds 7-12 strategic church & business partners
STEP FIVE: HC builds Launch Team of 30 people
We believe a healthy City Center Hub is Focused on the right things in the right season.
City Cares (Month 12-6): Love and Serve community leaders
City Groups (Month 10-1): Cast vision and build Culture and DNA
City Gatherings (Month 6-1): Online gatherings
City Gatherings: Launch in-person Hub gatherings
POST-LAUNCH MINISTRY RHYTHM
With there being so much a church can do, we want to keep this as our rhythm.
CITY CARES LOVE WEEK: Once a year serving our partners
CITY VISION NIGHTS: Once a quarter inspirational event
CITY CARES PROJECTS: Once a month community service
CITY TEAMS: Biweekly Stat, Hub Coordinators and Host Gathering trainings
CITY GATHERING: Weekly church gathering at City Center Hub
CITY GROUPS: Midweek all church virtual dinner parties